Thursday 7 October 2010

30. Theatre, Bristol, at the premiere Opening Night of an opera

Theatre-goer, a very senior clinician in a hospital, female (60):  I like coming to these sorts of productions, it’s a fun evening out, don’t you think?  I don’t see the point in buying a programme though – after all you can pick it up as you go along, as long as they don’t sing too high.  I don’t see the point in spending – what is it, £3? – when you can pick it all up yourself.  Better to spend it on a drink, don’t you think?

Friend (40):  Ooh yes, absolutely, I haven’t bought one either.

Theatre-goer (leaning across friend to speak to acquaintance the other side at various times during the performance)
Excuse me, could you tell me how many acts there are?  ...........Is there one interval, or two?  .........How long is the second one? ...........What time does it finish? ............ I hear the Musical Director’s daughter is in the production – which one is she?........ I didn’t quite follow that last bit, can I borrow your programme to check it out in the synopsis?........

Later in the evening the auditorium got too warm and people were fanning themselves with their programmes.  Said theatre goer was seen flapping her hand in front of her face in an attempt to fan it.  The programme lender/acquaintance wishes she had thought to offer to sell her a fan for £3.00...

-oOo-

2 comments:

Joyful said...

That's funny but really 3 pounds for a program is rather steep. At least we can still get our programs for free at the opera here.

Lonicera said...

I know - it IS expensive. This particular person was quite wealthy and could have afforded to buy many programmes... but she preferred to ask the acquaintance all those questions instead...
I much appreciate your comment - thank you!
Caroline