Tuesday 14 September 2010

7. At a holiday campsite, West Country, England

Little boy on holiday campsite, rainy day (8):  Mum, do warehouses have traffic lights?

Mother:  I don’t understand you.

Little boy:  Well, I’ve seen a cartoon in a magazine about an Irishman who says he’s waiting outside a warehouse for the red light to turn green and...

Mother:  Show me the cartoon.  Is it from that magazine you’re holding behind your back?  Give it here...

Little boy:  Um... I’ve lost it... no it’s not that one... it isn’t.... it’s another one... no, it’s not mine, I didn’t buy it at the campsite shop, I found it lying around, honest...

Older sister, scornfully (10):  That doesn’t say warehouse, it says whorehouse.

....

Little boy (2 minutes later):  ... so Mum, why would there be a red light outside a whorehouse?

(With thanks to Nick, work colleague and the once-upon-a-time 8-year old)

-oOo-

No comments: