Sunday 26 September 2010

19. Naivety of youth (iii). Eastville, Bristol,1976

Walking by the Gasometer ...

Google image of a gasometer in east London.
The Eastville one has long since disappeared


Boy 1 (11):  Bet you didn’t know what this is used for.

Boy 2 (11):  Go on then.

Boy 1:  They store gravy in there.  Then when you need some for your Sunday roast, you ask and it’s piped through to your kitchen, and you just turn on the tap.

Boy 3 (11):  WHAT???  Are you out of your tiny mind?

Boy 2 (scornfully):  You don’t know nothin’.  That’s for gas.  It’s a GASometer, stupid.

Boy 1:  It’s for gravy I tell you, I know cos my Mum and Dad told me years ago and.... (realisation dawning).... maybe it’s for gravy AND gas and..... (tapering off lamely) ..... I guess they got told wrong...

Boy 3:  I guess you’re just plain STUPID.

(With thanks to Nick, Boy 3 back in 1976)

-oOo-

No comments: